WDC Established After 1956 Presidential Election
After the 1956 election, the talented and enthusiastic women who ran Adlai Stevenson's Bethesda campaign headquarters decided to establish a club for Democratic women. The founding luncheon in January 1957 featured Eleanor Roosevelt, who spoke to 250 women at Normandie Farm Restaurant in Potomac. By 1960, the WDC had become a vital force in both county and national politics, with the Democratic National Committee (DNC) enlisting members for various activities and to staff offices for Democratic Inaugural events. In the 1960s and ‘70s, the Club ran the Bethesda-Chevy Chase campaign headquarters for the Montgomery County Democratic Central Committee (MCDCC). To finance the office, the Club sponsored events ranging from sales of food and Democratic novelty items to the famous biannual VIP auctions at the Mann farm in Poolesville.
Today the Club continues to strongly support Democratic candidates and the MCDCC. Our members can be counted on to volunteer for key campaign responsibilities and for the Democratic tent at the Montgomery County Fair. At luncheons and forums, members meet and question top newsmakers, political analysts, journalists, and local and national candidates. WDC sponsors a biennial trip to Annapolis to meet with state lawmakers and co-sponsors the Women’s Legislative Briefing. Every four years, WDC sponsors our famous post-primary “Kiss and Make-Up Party.” Our website and our emails keep members updated on legislative activities, political meetings and ways to become involved.